Thirdlove, the tech geek in lingerie industry

晚上10:18 0 Comments A+ a-


Don't get me wrong. I say "tech geek" in a positive way.

Thirdlove is a lingerie startup brand based in San Francisco, California. The reason why I define them as tech geek is simply because they tap into this industry with very innovative technology, which literally raises public's interest and make themselves successfully differentiate from other competitors. 

Thirdlove got a lot of attention when they launched their mobile app. They were featured in well-known woman magazines, such as Refinery 29 and Vogue. They were also featured on Forbe magazine because their cutting edge technology got huge investment.



Before I start to talk about their cool innovation. 
I have to say overall using Thirdlove's mobile app is a pleasurable experience. All the buttons and functions are mobile friendly designed. Even for someone like me who have a fat finger, it still very easy to use. When you first enter the app, the background is not a still artistic picture of model but a motion video. It creates a sense of elegant and sophisticated. In the what's new section, the app also provides the catalog layout, which makes it easier for user to scroll.


Then here comes to the fun part. 
When we click the get sized button on the main menu, the whole journey starts. First you will watch a short video with voice instruction.


Click the Ready button on the lower right corner, and then you move to the next steps. The whole process keep going in such way. The instruction is super clear. Even when you hold your phone and ready to take the picture of yourself in the mirror, the voice instructor is still talking to you and let you know your camera has to be closer or farther from the mirror. It's just amazing!



By simply taking two pictures, you can get your size pretty accurate. Isn't it sounded exciting? If you are not satisfied with the pictures, it also allows you to retake as many as you want.


Another little but relatively critical thing is about personalization. After I finish the bra size measurement and get back to shop browsing, I get all the options which not only has my size but also automatically selects the size for me. Isn't it sweet and make user feel they are being cared?


After I do research about Thirdlove...
I find that all discussions are around their innovative mobile app instead of their real products, bras and underwear. There barely reviews online are about the quality of products, the service or even the delivery process.( Thirdlove customers usually order products online.) For Thirdlove, this could be a double-edged sword. Indeed, the mobile app earns attention for Thirdlove at the earlier stage. However, people like me would probably just download the app and play it for fun. Personally, I tend to have a strong brand loyalty to my favor lingerie brands. I know exactly what and how I can get from them. How to make people really not just try but stick with you, that would be the next move which Thirdlove have to take it into serious condition.





Lesley comes from Taiwan and currently study in NYU. Here is the blog that Lesley shares her point of view toward the incredibly fun digital world.